Sunday, 26 October 2008

Phalarope Fest

With the high winds slowly subsiding I returned to Boddam to have another session with the Grey Phalaropes, but they were not present so I continued south and found two birds together (and then a third bird with them) at my old stomping ground at Scatness. The birds provided great views as they swam just a few metres offshore. The birds were very busy and would take flight only to avoid the biggest waves - thus providing incredible action shots in flight. Later in the morning I found another two birds on the other side of the valley here at Maywick and so I spent the afternoon photographing them. Grey Phalaropes are actually pretty rare birds here in Shetland but with another 10 or so being seen today it looks like being a record influx.















No comments: