Sunday, 3 January 2010

Long-tailed Ducks ~ Oldsquaws

With the winter conditions still with us and fantastic light still on offer - for nearly two weeks now - the harbour seemed the obvious place to spend the day. I just love photographing birds in the myriad of patterns that the sea offers. There were some lovely opportunities today with Long-tailed Ducks along with plenty of photogenic Eiders and a couple of nice close-in Black Guillemots. I also managed some recordings of drake Long-tailed Ducks displaying - fantastic!

























6 comments:

Coy said...

Your work is nothing short of fantastic!

I noticed that you had become a recent follower of my blog Country Captures so I popped over for a visit and wow, what a visual treat!

Eagleseagles said...

Oldsquaws such an evocative name!

What beautiful ducks they are as well.
Fab recording and with the photo's I can just imagine the display!

Those Tysties look like they couldn't get any bigger fish down their throats - but they might try!

Bet those salopettes came in handy!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Corinna

dj said...

hi hugh......dropping in to say hello. your photography is stunning. of course the norway / finland photos are of most interest to me. i will follow along to see your future pics from your soon trip there.

dj

Natural Moments said...

Love the colourful and super well sun lit photos of your oldsquaw and its always fun for me to watch the seabirds eat their fish. Nice in all ways.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Absolutely Splendid set of images, the colours are brilliant, and I can all but catch a whiff of the sea waters, thank you for sharing~

francescbb@hotmail.es said...

Nice shots!!! Good job!!!

Frank
http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com