Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Sanderlings, Turnstones & Ash Clouds

A few pix of the results from Sunday. I planned more wader photography yesterday but helped Dave out with the Fair Isle group who were grounded here on Mainland Shetland. Still, this particular ash cloud certainly had a silver-lining as we managed to find a pod of 14 Killer Whales, a superb Otter, a party of Harbour Porpoise, Wood Sandpiper and Black-tailed Godwits. I think the group were happy they were stuck - and after a day like that, so were Dave and I...



















7 comments:

Barty said...

Nice captures Hugh !

Hugh Harrop said...

Cheers Mike - Dubai-style light here for a change with 1/4000 sec needed to freeze the Sanderlings and stop the toe 'drag'.

Stu said...

Wonderful shots.

I'd love to freeze running waders, dunno if my knackered old 100-400 would ever be up to the job though..............

Hugh Harrop said...

You could do it Stu - these were taken at between 1/2500 - 1/4000 sec at f8 / f11 at ISO 800 - 1250. I see you have a 7d which, like the 1d Mark IV has awesome low-noise capabilities. If there is enough light to get the shutter speed then you are good to go - get out and try it with those settings and drop us an e mail with the results!

francescbb@hotmail.es said...

Great pictures!!! congratulations!!!

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Barcelona
Frank

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Hugh, what wonderful action shots, these are all charming chaps~

Eagleseagles said...

Well the Fair Isle group did well -
I have been watching the birds they did see on FI when they got there- the "ash" certainly was useful!

SW strikes again I see from the tweets/emails - look forward to seeing Jon's blog when he returns and downloads his photos!

Oh and the Sanderling shots are wonderful - I think I shall have to change my background - the duck goes in favour of one of these delightful wader shots!